Kingston Announces Hardware-Encrypted IronKey Keypad 200 USB Drive
- Alphanumeric Keypad for PIN Access
- FIPS 140-3 Level 3 (Pending) Certified
- OS- and Device-Independent
- Multi-PIN Option (Admin and User)
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–#FIPS1403Level3–Kingston Digital, Inc., the Flash memory affiliate of Kingston Technology Company, Inc., a world leader in memory products and technology solutions, today announced the release of the Kingston IronKey™ Keypad 200 (KP200), the industry’s first drive to deliver the latest FIPS 140-3 Level 3 security for your data.
The IronKey™ Keypad 200 is built with robust protection and flexibility of use in mind — offering XTS-AES 256-bit hardware-based encryption in a feature-rich and OS-independent alphanumeric keypad. KP200 incorporates a built-in rechargeable battery, so users can unlock the drive using the keypad for easy-to-use PIN access, without using software. Once unlocked, users can access their data by plugging the drive into any device that supports USB Type-A Flash storage, making it a plug-and-play device across IT ecosystems.
KP200 is FIPS-140-3 Level 3 (Pending) certified for military-grade security, and the drive’s circuitry is coated with tamper-evident, tough epoxy to prevent access to its internal components without damaging them. For another level of protection, the keypad is coated with a protective polymer layer to prevent the analysis of fingerprints on the keys.
KP200 supports a multi-PIN option, allowing the use of separate Admin or User PINs. KP200 locks the User PIN after ten failed login attempts, but if both PINs are enabled the Admin can be used to restore a User PIN and access to the drive. If the Admin PIN itself is incorrectly entered ten times in a row, the built-in Brute Force attack protection will crypto-erase the drive, permanently destroying the data and resetting the device. Additionally, KP200 can safeguard against malware from untrusted systems with two different Read-Only modes, empowering Admin to write-protect the drive during a specific session or globally across all User sessions.
“The Kingston IronKey KP200 is the first drive to successfully pass certification lab testing for the latest FIPS 140-3 Level 3 military-grade security level from NIST,” said Richard Kanadjian, encrypted unit manager at Kingston. “With no need for software and ease of use of the keypad, KP200 is the best solution for those looking for flexibility while maintaining the highest-level security for storing sensitive data on the go.”
KP200 adds security enhancements for FIPS 140-3 Level 3:
– Minimum PIN length goes from 7 to 8 digits (max is 15) for stronger PIN security
– No factory-preset PIN – User must set up PIN upon first use
– Periodic self-testing to ensure fully-functional security features – KP200 will shut down if a problem is detected
– Automatic shutdown under excessive thermal and voltage conditions
– Enhanced Random Number Generator to strengthen encryption key generation
The Kingston IronKey Keypad 200 has available storage capacities ranging from 8GB – 128GB and is backed by a limited three-year warranty, with free technical support, and the legendary Kingston reliability. For more information, visit kingston.com.
Kingston IronKey Keypad 200
8GB IronKey Keypad 200
16GB IronKey Keypad 200
32GB IronKey Keypad 200
64GB IronKey Keypad 200
128GB IronKey Keypad 200
Kingston IronKey Keypad 200 Features and Specifications:
- FIPS 140-3 Level 3 (Pending) Certified: KP200 now meets the new FIPS 140-3 Level 3 military-grade security specifications published by NIST; it has completed certification lab testing and is in the review cycle for final approval by NIST. This is an enhanced version of the FIPS 140-2 Level 3 specifications that further enhances the drive’s security capabilities and tamper-resistance. It includes XTS-AES 256-bit encryption along with Brute Force and BadUSB attack protection with digitally-signed firmware. Its circuitry is covered by a layer of special epoxy that makes it virtually impossible to remove components without damaging them; this tough epoxy stops attacks against the semiconductor components.
- OS- and Device-Independent: With KP200 utilizing a rechargeable battery, the keypad can be used to unlock the drive without using any software, and then plug it into any system that supports a USB Type-A mass storage device. This gives users the most flexibility across different platform types and operating systems.
- Multi-PIN Option: Users have the option to set up a User or an Admin/User mode. Admin can be used to restore a User PIN and provide access to the drive should User PIN be forgotten or if the drive is locked after reaching the maximum of 10 User login attempts.
- Global and Session Read-Only (Write Protect) Modes: Both Admin and User can set a session-based Read-Only mode to protect the drive from malware on untrusted systems. Admin can also set a Global Read-Only mode that sets the drive in Read-Only mode until reset.
- Interface: USB 3.2 Gen 1
- Capacities1: 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB
- Connector: Type-A
USB 3.2 Gen 1
8GB –128GB: 145MB/s read, 115MB/s Write
8GB: 30MB/s read, 12MB/s write
16GB – 128GB: 30MB/s read, 20MB/s write
- Dimensions (drive with sleeve): 80mm x 20mm x 10.5mm
- Dimensions (drive without sleeve): 78mm x 18mm x 8mm
- Waterproof/Dustproof3: Certified to IP57 rating
- Operating Temperature: 0°C to 50°C
- Storage Temperature: -20°C to 60°C
- Compatibility: USB 3.0/USB 3.1/USB 3.2 Gen 1
- Minimum System Requirements: USB 3.0 compliant and 2.0 compatible
- Warranty/Support: 3-year warranty, free technical support
- Compatible with: OS-independent: Microsoft Windows®, macOS®, Linux®, Chrome OS™, Android™4 or any system that supports a USB mass storage device.
Kingston® IronKey™ Keypad 200 incorporates DataLock® Secured Technology licensed from ClevX, LLC. www.clevx.com/patents
1 Some of the listed capacity on a flash storage device is used for formatting and other functions and thus is not available for data storage. As such, the actual available capacity for data storage is less than what is listed on the products. For more information, go to Kingston’s Flash Memory Guide.
2 Speed may vary due to host hardware, software, and usage.
3 Product must be clean and dry before use.
4 Compatible systems.
About Kingston Technology Company, Inc.
From big data, to laptops and PCs, to IoT-based devices like smart and wearable technology, to design-in and contract manufacturing, Kingston helps deliver the solutions used to live, work and play. The world’s largest PC makers and cloud-hosting companies depend on Kingston for their manufacturing needs, and our passion fuels the technology the world uses every day. We strive beyond our products to see the bigger picture, to meet the needs of our customers and offer solutions that make a difference. To learn more about how Kingston Is With You, visit Kingston.com.