Consumers Get Plugged In With New Cisco HomePlug AV Powerline Solutions
Linksys Powerline Networking Solutions Use Standard Electrical Wiring to Network Devices and Help Eliminate Wireless "Dead Spots"
January 24, 2012 --
IRVINE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/24/12 -- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking, today announced a suite of Linksys® HomePlug AV Powerline solutions that allow consumers to use their home network by using their existing home electrical wiring. The HomePlug AV Powerline standard provides speeds of up to 200 Mbps* to bring streaming video, gaming, and other data-intensive applications to computers, tablets, consoles, televisions and other Ethernet-enabled devices.
"Cisco's Linksys products set the standard for great home networking experiences with their ease of use and outstanding performance," said Scott Kabat, director of marketing, Cisco Home Networking business unit. "Our new Powerline products deliver on this promise. Just plug them in, and they start working."
Leverages Standard Household Electrical Wiring
Powerline uses industry-standard HomePlug AV technology to turn any home wall socket into a network connection. Because no electrical reconfiguring or rewiring is necessary, networking can be delivered to remote areas of a house without expensive and inconvenient drilling and cable-laying. The compact, space-saving design of the Linksys Powerline family of products leaves room for other appliances to be plugged into the same outlet. Regular household 120-volt electrical service is unaffected by Powerline, nor will most household appliances interfere with Powerline transmissions.
The Ultimate in "Plug and Play"
A Powerline network is simple to set up. Users connect the adapter via an Ethernet cable to a router, and then plug the adapter into a wall socket. Next, the user plugs the second adapter into any other wall socket, and then connects it to a device via a second cable. The network is ready to work and the easy-to-use set-up software helps users get their devices connected simply and quickly.
Powerline solutions also provide a simple way to help extend the home network into rooms such as basements, attics, garages and back houses that may have dead spots or a limited wireless signal due to building materials, such as concrete and steel.
The three new Linksys Powerline solutions help to enhance and improve the home network experience:
1. The Linksys Powerline AV 1-Port Network Adapter Kit (PLEK400). (Includes two 1-port powerline adapters) This kit is ideal for those users looking to connect a computer in a room where wireless connectivity is limited.
2. The Linksys Powerline AV 4-Port Network Adapter Kit (PLSK400). (Includes one 1-port powerline adapter and a 4-port powerline adapter) This kit is ideal for the home media room where users can connect a TV, game console, media server and networked DVD player. Or if they have a home office in the attic or basement they can connect a computer, printers, scanners and other devices to the home network.
3. The Linksys Powerline AV 1-Port Wireless Extender (PLW400). This device takes a signal from an already-installed Powerline network and converts it into 802.11n Wi-Fi signal. This is ideal for notebook, tablet or mobile phone users who want to be able to use their devices wirelessly and connect to the network from places in their home where a wireless signal from a router may not reach.
Both Wired, Wireless Versions to be Available
The PLEK400 and PLSK400 are available today at major online retailers or at the Linksys online store while the PLW400 is planned for availability in March.
-- PLEK400 Powerline AV 1-Port Network (Available Now) $99.99 MSRP Adapter Kit -- PLSK400 Powerline AV 4-Port Adapter (Available Now) $99.99 MSRP Kit -- PLW400 Powerline AV 1-Port Wireless (Available in March) $119.99 MSRP Extender
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco's vision for the consumer is to enable people to live a connected life that is more personal, more social, and more visual. Further information about Cisco and its full line of consumer products including Linksys can be found at www.linksys.com, and www.cisco.com/consumer.
- Become a Cisco Linksys Facebook fan: www.facebook.com/ciscolinksys
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/officiallinksys
- Watch us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/officiallinksys
- Cisco Consumer Blogs: http://blogs.cisco.com/consumer
* Maximum performance for the Powerline AV Network Adapter is derived from HomePlug Powerline Alliance Homeplug AV specification. Actual performance can vary, including lower powerline network capacity and data throughput rate. Performance depends on many factors, conditions and variables, including volume of network traffic, home wiring construction, operating system used, mix of networking products used, interference from other electrical devices, age of home wiring, wireline range and coverage as determined by wiring route or path between devices and other adverse conditions. Power outlets and electrical wiring must all be part of the same electrical system.
Cisco, the Cisco logo and Linksys are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Mobile: 949 302-3470
CommStrat Public Relations
Mobile: 925 354-7444
408 525 3170
Copyright @ Marketwire